Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Adventure at the Hollywood Show (April Edition)

Tommy Kirk & Me

I'm back from the Hollywood Show in Burbank and IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

Main Ballroom at the Hollywood Show
The main ballroom

I got there around 11:15am and determined to not let shyness get the better of me, I steeled myself for the day ahead. My main quest was to meet the one, the only, Tommy Kirk. Tommy was the very first actor I ever had a crush on, and if you look at all the men I've ever been attracted to or loved that came after him, he sort of set the mold for the type of man (physically, at least) that would catch my eye.

I had read on his wiki page that Tommy was discovered at the Pasadena Playhouse, which doubly thrilled me, because as anyone who is a frequent reader of this lj knows, I love Pasadena and I love live theatre! So I had a little "in," I hoped, to talk to him, and ask him how he got his start.



When I got into the main hall, it was already jumping. I took a cursory glance around and found the Mickey Mouse Club area pretty fast. I considered waiting, or maybe just looking around a bit first, but then I realized this is my downfall. Procrastinating would only make my anxiety and shyness worse. So I steeled myself forward and walked right up to Tommy's table.

"Mr. Kirk, it is an honor to meet you," I said, holding out my hand. "You were the first actor I ever had a crush on as a girl."

"Oh, thank you!" he said warmly and shook my hand.

I then asked him about the Pasadena Playhouse and how he got his start and he told me that his brother was an actor, and they needed a little boy to play a part in Ah, Wilderness! (one of my absolute favorite coming-of-age boy plays), so although his brother didn't get the part, he did! A talent agent was in the audience one of the nights ("A real talent agent," Tommy told me.) and then he was just whisked on to the big screen, doing 5 movies back to back! We then talked about the sad demise of the P'dena Playhouse and he was pretty upset about it. I do hope they find the money to reopen it sometime in the future.

Then - and this made me giggle inwardly as I was doing it, because I did it almost unconsciously - I asked him, "Have you been to the Boston Court Theatre?" I was pimping the Boston Court to Tommy Kirk!!! LMFAO! I think I love that theatre. :)

Tommy then asked if I was an actress, which tickled me, but I keep getting asked that, so maybe I give off some actorly vibe? *shrugs* I'm also young and in the right place, but still, it's funny and I love it.

By that time, I was antsy to get a photo, and was worried I was taking up too much of his time, so I asked and he was totally agreeable. As I was sitting down behind the table, he said something that made me almost faint:

"Oh, I get to sit beside a pretty girl."

GAHHH!!! *swoons*

And here's the photo:

Tommy Kirk & Me

*sighs again*

I will admit to getting lost in those huge blue eyes a few times while he was talking to me, too. I know he's older now, but he still has that adorable sparkle he did back when he was Merlin Jones and Travis Coates in Old Yeller and a Hardy boy. Although I rarely do this, I also got an autograph and he personalized it to me:



*sighs again* Bless you, Tommy Kirk, for making a celebrity meeting so positive and amazing. You have healed my heart a little. :)

After that, I was pretty much goo on the floor and couldn't stop grinning. I haven't felt all fun and happy and fangirly like that in...well, quite awhile, so it was great to feel that again. :)

I ran back to the car and carefully placed my autographed photo on the passenger seat before dashing back inside again.

After the TK encounter, I was pretty much flying, so the rest of the con, I was chatting up celebs like no one's business!


As I passed this guy's table:

Robert Rusler at the Hollywood Show

He said, "Hi, I'm Robert" all sexy-like, and shook my hand. He's Robert Rusler from Weird Science and a bunch of other stuff. I introduced myself and then took his photo and without thinking, I winked at him and said, "Thank you, Robert," all sexy back. LOL!!! I'm flirting with celebrities!!! WTF!!!

I also talked to Diane Franklin from Better Off Dead, (who was totally sweet) because she had this cool trading card from the movie on her table amongst her other glossies.


And then, I started doing all the requests. :)

From what I can remember, there were two requests for Mr. Gary Busey. I dared not speak to him, but here's the photo:

Gary Busey(!) at the Hollywood Show

Across the way, I looked at his son Jake's photos from The Frighteners. No one was at the table, but I heard a voice behind me say, "Hey, get away from there! Stop that," all silly-like. It was Jake Busey. Jake and I talked momentarily and I told him, "So you're the photo bomb king!" because Jake loves to get into other peoples' photos at cons when they're with other celebs. He said it was because people get free photos and that he has to spend his gas money and possibly risk getting H1N1 shaking all these hands, so I get what he was saying. The way he said it was totally hilarious and he's actually pretty cute in person. I obviously didn't dare take his photo, though! :P

I had a request for Rose Marie, and she was charming! I told her about and how much she liked RM in The Monkees and she was all appreciative. The photo turned out fantastically, too:

Rose Marie at the Hollywood Show

Peter Fonda had a room all to himself and a massive line to boot! The man is super popular. Ryan and Tatum O'Neal were in the main hall and never had that much of a line, but Peter's line snaked all the way through the back part of the convention hall! Wow! The staff woman allowed me to take a photo from the doorway:

Peter Fonda at the Hollywood Show

They were a little stickier about photos this time, and some of the lesser celebs were charging for photos, which I thought was dumb (and which is why there aren't photos of the Riptide cast in this report. Ahem.) You pay to get in, you pay for autographs, the celebs get paid for being there, shouldn't "spontaneous" (i.e., not professional photos, which were being offered for a fee) be free? What if they don't turn out? Then you're out $10. But I'll shut up about that now.

The layout was even better this time. People were complaining about how crowded the "autograph alley" was last time and that there was a bunch of black "tenting" material over all the celebs' booths, so no one could see anything that well. This time, it was just loooong tables with celebs lined up at them. This was the ideal setup and Weekend of Horrors (when it was still run by Fango) did this and it worked out pretty well.

It took me awhile to find the Karate Kid peeps, as they were hidden against a far wall, but I finally found them, and snapped a pic of Ralph Macchio for Catherine:

Ralph Macchio at the Hollywood Show

That man must have a photo of himself aging somewhere in a closet, because he looks exactly the same! It was a little surreal! I wanted to take pics of the rest of the cast, but again, there was a bit of stickiness about "casual" photos for the "higher" celebs, so I just played it safe.

Walked around a bit more, talked to a few more celebs, (kinda wanted to talk to Traci Lords, but didn't know quite what to say, so I didn't!) and got some other pics with my camera that I think turned out supremely well!

Kelly LeBrock at the Hollywood Show

Kelly LeBrock, from Weird Science (They should've had Anthony Michael Hall there and had a reunion!)

Elizabeth Rohm at the Hollywood Show

Elizabeth Rohm from Law and Order, who was very nice and utterly stunning! She was one of my favorites on the show and I will admit to having a bit of a girl crush on her.

Sean Young at the Hollywood Show

And Sean Young looking snazzy in purple.

I took a good look around at the vendors and one guy really tried to sell me something, but I wouldn't budge. I couldn't have afforded it anyway, I only had $10 in my pocket left for parking! LOL! Ogled over some lovely stills of Orson Welles and Peter Lorre, but decided against buying anything. I had already got my $20 worth meeting Tommy Kirk.

Overall, this Hollywood Show was just as well-run as the past one, although it was a little more disorganized as to how the celebs were laid out and the photo thing, but that might not even be the con's fault, more the celebs themselves. Anyway, a totally fun time was had by all and I'm still swooning over meeting Tommy Kirk! Thank you, Hollywood Show! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment